Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Disappointments

Today, as I was driving home, I saw one of the most disturbing sights. On the wall of the local high school offensive words and images had been spray painted onto the wall for all to see. Both students and innocent citizens passing by the school are privy to the images that would not only disturb, but also agitate people to the point of tears. As I passed this escapade, I was appalled. How could a person, a high school student, find this behavior acceptable? People who partake in actions like this do not calculate how much of an impact their words have upon others. Small actions can make the most difference upon other people. Words especially have a huge effect on boys and girls everywhere.

This links back to the major issue of bullying that the American public is facing today. Throughout the nation kids, teenagers, and adults are falling victim to the consequences of bullying everyday. Words, spoken and unspoken, are hurtful to people as well as the offensive glares, attitudes, and hand gestures the people fall victim to everyday. What amazes me most of all is the ignorance of some people to their participation in bullying. The actions associated with bullying are so common in society today that it seems as though they are almost accepted by people. In schools, malls, and other public places bullying can be seen daily. The fact that it is so prevalent is what also disturbs me. People who are bullied are often loners and really need only one thing: a friend to stand by their side. I know this because I have been in their shoes. I was once without any friends and spent all my time either alone or with my parents. It was a dark time for me and was only lightened when I finally found one friend at school. My sister also became one of my truest friends. She would always take my calls and knew how to calm me down when I was flustered or how to make me laugh when I was depressed. Only with the friendship of my sister and my friend at school was I able to make it through the last years of high school. The same was true when I went to college. During my freshman year, I was a loner and kept to myself, but after I joined the Women's Chorus of Texas A&M, I was able to make life long friends that I still keep in touch with today.

I say all of this to communicate how behavior like I witnessed at the high school I live by is not acceptable and should not even be carried out in the first place. It hurts too many people and the effects are long term. Bullying is not something that a person just forgets. The memories of it stay with them forever. Hopefully, people can grow from the hard times, but that does not give permission for hateful actions to be committed. For this reason I hope that the spray painted images will be painted over as soon as possible so that no more people will be affected by their malicious intent.

2 comments:

  1. Always your friend sista! You can't escape me, even if you tried :)

    I can't believe that happened. You didn't say what the message pertained to though. Was it aimed at an individual or was it aimed at a group of people? Was it on GHS or CHHS?

    I'm glad you're speaking out on this. It's an important topic that's been highlighted by the media lately, and it's aftereffects are having devastating consequences on kids and adults alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its was at GHS. It was aimed at people in general though it did say something offensive to a specific group. I am glad you agree with me. It makes me feel good to know that I am not alone in my beliefs of how people should be treated.

      Delete