Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas time is here...

That time of year has rolled around again. Christmas time is a holiday that I always look forward to. Family is in town, the house is full of decorations and presents, and young kids are running around the house in excitement and anticipation of presents. Yet Christmas symbolizes something greater, something more important than the superficial details that people focus on.

This all comes to me as I sit in the living room listening and watching my mother, sister, and aunt prepare Christmas Eve dinner. For Christmas of 2012, my aunt and uncle, mother and father, sister and her boyfriend, as well as my sister's boyfriend's parents gather together to remember the birth of Jesus Christ. We also gather in order to remember the importance of our family bond and relationship, always being there for one another, through thick and thin. As the smell of fajitas wafts into the living room, I see that if I did not have my family with me, I would have no one to celebrate this amazing holiday with. My family is without a doubt the most important group of people within my life. They have never turned their backs on me or laughed in my face. They are always there and will continue to be there for me.

As I sit in my living room, becoming aware of all the happiness that surrounds me, I slowly start to realize how truly gifted I am. It matters not whether I get the exact present I want or if I am put on the naughty or nice list, but rather that I have the opportunity to spend an extended period of time with my family, the people that truly love me with all of their hearts. This winter holiday encompasses what life is about and what everyone should focus on daily: family, love, trust, and unity. 

As the night continues, there will, without a doubt, be laughter, memories, and presents to be opened, but there will also be a deeper level happening at the same time. After the dinner, drinks, and guacamole, I believe that my family, as well as every family gathering together tonight, will grow closer. We will tighten our bond and become a stronger family that will not be broken by any force. For that reason I say to everyone tonight, value your family and enjoy every second you get to spend with them. Merry Christmas and I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

1 comment: